I’m obsessed with fall, jackets and soups, especially Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. I use to order it all the time at restaurants until I discovered how easy it is. Now you too can make it at home and you can have the whole pot, not just a cup or a bowl. And if you love your family enough, you may share with them.
I love the smell of soup and roasted veggies, it’s so comforting. If you live in the place where it is chilly right now, like we are in the Midwest, start that fireplace, cozy up in a warm blanket and have a bowl of this Roasted Butternut Squash. Well, last time we did that, we fell asleep in front of the fireplace with our dog. That’s how comforting it was. ha ha
Also, if you love butternut squash like I do, here are other recipes.
I used chicken broth in this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, but if you are a vegan, you can use vegetable broth.
Let’s cook some food!
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
I think the hardest part is probably cutting the butternut squash, you really need a super sharp knife. Or you can buy them already cut, totally up to you.
First, cut the butternut squash in half.
Cut out the top part of each half.
Peel the skin off by slicing down the sides.
Split each in half.
Scoop out the seeds.
Cut the butternut squash into 1-inch cubes. Also cut 1 onion and 1 apple into the same size.
Place them on a sheet pan, toss with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Roast for 35-40 minutes, until tender.
Meanwhile, heat the chicken or vegetable stock to a simmer.
Toast sunflower seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes.
When the veggies are done, put them in the pot.
Use an immersion blender, a blender or food processor to blend the soup.
I love my immersion blender, especially when I’m too lazy to clean afterwards.
Keep blending until smooth and silky.
Taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper.
Serve hot with sunflower seeds on top. Enjoy!
Hope you give this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup a try, the recipe card is below.
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Mcintosh apple, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place butternut squash, onion and apple on a sheet pan, toss with olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the chicken or vegetable broth to a simmer.
- Toast sunflower seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes.
- When the veggies are done, put them in the pot. Use an immersion blender, a blender or food processor to blend the soup until smooth.Taste to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Serve hot with sunflower seeds on top. Enjoy!