Hearty with hash browns and ham chunks, this flavorful and easy Oven Omelet is great for breakfast or brunch. A co-worker shared the recipe for this egg casserole with me 13 years ago and I used to make it often, especially when we had team breakfast food day. I love the recipe because you can change it up, so instead of ham, you can also use sausages or bacon (or all!). I had leftover honey ham so I went with ham today. For veggies, I like red pepper and yellow onion, you can change it to other veggies such as spinach or maybe asparagus if you feel adventurous. Go for it!
My Thai friend, Noon, loved it, too. She even made it herself for our friends on New Year using sausages. Yes, her name is Noon. Thai nicknames can be strange when you pronounce it in English. It Thai, it actually means “cotton”. It’s funny when celebrities started naming their children fruit or objects, Thai people have been doing this for centuries. ha ha ha
Anyways, Noon is one of my besties and I love her and her passion for food. She came to the USA for grad school and while she was here, I made this Oven Omelet and she loved it.
So, her post was my inspiration to make this Oven Omelet this morning.
Let’s cook some food!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk and seasoned salt together.
I use whole milk and here’s the brand of seasoned salt I always use. For eggs, I use 8 cage-free eggs.
I also like to use fresh grated sharp cheddar. I got a whole block from our local grocery store this morning. If you’re in hurry, the shredded cheese in the bag would be o.k. too. It’s no big deal.
Stir in the remaining ingredients into the egg mixture. I like to save some cheese to sprinkle on the top.
Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Garnish with some parsley leaves (optional). Enjoy!
I hope you give this Oven Omelet a try, the recipe card is below.
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk and seasoned salt together.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the egg mixture. Save some cheese to sprinkle on the top.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Garnish with some parsley leaves (optional). Enjoy!