Marinated Mozzarella is by far one of my top 5 easiest appetizers for entertaining. It takes literally 5 minutes to make and it’s so yummy! We had a great time celebrating Christmas at Mark and Patty’s last night and this Marinated Mozzarella was a hit. We served it with some French baguette and crackers. Nothing a cook would be happier than seeing people’s reaction when they love their food. Even though there was no cooking in this case and it’s such a small effort. ha ha!
Let’s cook some food! or should I say let’s marinate some cheese!?
Starting with some fresh herbs. Chop them up finely. I’ve got fresh basil, thyme, rosemary and garlic. If you don’t have fresh herbs, you can use dry herbs. It will just take longer to marinate. In regards to the herbs, you can use any kind that you have on hand, that’s why I love this recipe as it can be adapted to whatever ingredients you already have on hand.
I got some fresh mozzarella pearls packed in water and not only did they look cute, but also saved me time since I didn’t have to cut them up. If you can’t find them, you can use the regular size and cut them in cubes.
Combine sun-dried tomato oil, extra virgin olive oil, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, red-pepper flakes, salt, pepper and mozzarella in a bowl.
I used the oil that comes with sun-dried tomato and mix with extra virgin olive oil because sun-dried tomato oil is so flavorful. I also like the reddish color that it gives to the Marinated Mozzarella. However, if you can’t find sun-dried tomatoes in oil, then you can just use extra virgin.
Taste it to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Let it marinated for at least 20 minutes (or up to 1 hour) in the fridge.
Serve with crackers or bread. You can also add olives and cured meat to make an Italian Antipasti.
I hope you give this Marinated Mozzarella a try, the recipe card is below.
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato oil
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the herbs and sun-dried tomatoes finely.
- Combine sun-dried tomato oil, extra virgin olive oil, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, herbs, red-pepper flakes, salt, pepper and mozzarella in a bowl.
- Taste it to see if it needs more salt or pepper. Let it marinated for at least 20 minutes (or up to 1 hour) in the fridge.