This is one of the best pasta dishes I have ever made. I love Chicken Pasta at Firebirds so much that I wanted to make it at home. My great friend mentioned to me yesterday when went there for lunch. He goes “I can’t believe you haven’t tried to make this”. Well, challenge accepted, Jason, my love. ha ha ha. Now I don’t have to eat it slowly like I don’t want it to be gone. I’m gonna make a bunch and enjoy this creamy, spicy and full of flavor Chicken Pasta. Spice is my life!
My shortcut, I used store bought rotisserie chicken. Tada… Or if you want to grill your own chicken breasts, you can totally go for it.
For the sauce, there’s cream, milk, Asiago cheese, wine, shallot, garlic and spice mix (sugar, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, and chili powder). The challenge was to get the spice ratio right and I think I nailed it! There’s also bacon in it. Are you convinced yet?
I’m not joking, my husband said this is one of the best things I’ve ever made and he’s so glad that it’s not something with quinoa. I’m obsessed with quinoa and its benefits, but once in awhile a girl (and her husband) needs to splurge. ha ha ha.
Let’s cook some food!
Make the spice mix by combining 1 tablespoon of sugar, salt, paprika, chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
Now for the sauce, this recipe will make about 4 cups. You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups for 4 servings.
Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium high heat, add shallot, garlic, spice mix. Cook until soften.
Add white wine and cook until reduced by half.
Add chicken stock and bring it to simmer.
Add heavy cream.
Add milk and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
Make the roux by whisking 2 tablespoons of flour in 1/2 cup of chicken stock. My husband asked me what’s roux? It’s basically thickening agent.
Add the roux into the sauce.
Add fresh grated Asiago cheese.
Stir until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat. Like I mentioned earlier, you’ll get about 4 cups. You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups for 4 servings. Store the rest in the fridge.
Cook Penne pasta according to the package instructions. Drain.
While waiting for the pasta to be done, slice the rotisserie chicken breasts into pieces.
Add bacon into a large pan, cook until almost crispy.
Add the chicken. Cook for a minute.
Add cooked Penne.
And the sauce.
Stir until combined. Serve hot. Top with diced tomato and green onions. Enjoy!
Hope you give this Firdbirds Chicken Pasta a try. The recipe card is below.
- Asiago Cream Sauce (about 4 cups):
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup spice mix (1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon paprika and 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- roux (2 tablespoon flour whisked into ½ cup chicken stock)
- 1½ cups (12 oz.) Asiago cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons basil, roughly chopped
- Chicken Pasta:
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) Penne pasta
- 2 chicken breasts from rotisserie chicken, sliced
- 2 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1½ cups Asiago cream sauce (recipe above)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Start with the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium high heat, add shallot, garlic, spice mix. Cook until soften.
- Add white wine and cook until reduced by half. Add chicken stock and bring it to simmer. Add heavy cream, milk and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the roux into the sauce. Add fresh grated Asiago cheese and basil. Stir until the sauce is thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Cook Penne pasta according to the package instructions. Drain.
- Add bacon into a large pan, cook until almost crispy. Add the chicken. Cook for a minute.
- Add cooked Penne and 1½ cup of Asiago cream sauce. Stir until combined. Serve hot.Top with diced tomato and green onion. Enjoy!
The recipe for the sauce makes about 4 cups. For 4 servings, you will need about 1½ cups. Store the rest in the fridge.