Inspired by my recent trip to Bangkok Thailand, this Drunken Spaghetti with Shrimp is the mix between Thai and Italian. It is spicy, salty, a little sweet just like Thai Pad Kee Mao (“Kee Mao” in Thai means drunken). However, I was fully sober when I was making this dish for dinner tonight. Bangkokian’s favorite things to do are eating and shopping and I think I inherit both. There are soooo many restaurants, fancy, not so fancy, Thai, American, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian, you name it. Bangkok has it all – they should change the lyrics to “One night in Bangkok will make a full man hungry…”. It is such a fun, fascinating city and totally never sleeps. Thai people are so accepting of other cultures, which is why I think there are so many types of food there.
Let’s cook some food!
Cook pasta according to the package. I used Spaghetti today but you can use any kind of pasta you like. I think Penne or Rigatoni would be great, too. Drain and set aside.
Mix the Drunken sauce in a small bowl. The ingredients are 1 tablespoon of Golden Mountain (or light soy sauce), 1 tablespoon of Fish sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Set aside.
Heat up vegetable or Canola oil in a large pan, add chopped garlic and sliced Jalapeno peppers. I used 3 Jalapenos or you can use Thai pepper if you want it to be even more spicy. If you don’t want it to be too spicy, you can remove the membrane and the seeds. Those are the source of the heat. Cook garlic and peppers for a few minutes until soft, but do not burn.
Add shrimp and/or other seafood such as clams, scallops, mussels and squid. Cook for 2-3 minutes until all of them turn pink and firm. Do not over cook.
Add cooked pasta to the pan.
Add the Drunken sauce.
Mix everything together. Sprinkle with some fresh basil.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Since we’re making Thai inspired dish today, here’s a picture of Bangkok at night from Sirocco Sky bar, where the Hung Over II was filmed. Hung Over and Drunken Spaghetti… mmm… what a coincidence. 🙂
I hope you give this Drunken Spaghetti with Shrimp a try. If you like Thai food, you are going to like it. Please also let me know how it goes, the comment box is below.
I also have a few Thai dishes (or some, let just say “Thai influenced dishes”) posted. If you like Thai food, check them out.
- 24 fresh shrimp,peeled and deveined with tails on
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 Jalapeno pepper (or Thai pepper), sliced lengthwise
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or Canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Golden Mountain sauce (or light soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz. of Spaghetti (or other kind of pasta such as Penne or Rigatoni
- Cook pasta according to the package. Drain and set aside.
- Mix Golden Mountain (or light soy sauce), Fish sauce, pepper and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat up vegetable or Canola oil in a large pan, add chopped garlic and sliced Jalapeno peppers. Cook garlic and peppers for a few minutes until soft, but do not burn.
- Add shrimp (and/or other seafood such as clams, scallops, mussels and squid). Cook for 2-3 minutes until all of them turn pink and firm. Do not over cook.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan. Add the sauce. Mix everything together. Sprinkle with some fresh basil. Serve hot and enjoy!